We will be reading the play, Bordertown Cafe within English 20.
The screenplay was written by Kelly Rebar based on her award-winning 1990 play of the same name, and the film was directed by Norma Bailey. (Wiki)
Bordertown Café Act I Questions
1) How does Jimmy react to the call from his dad?
2) What is his mother’s reaction to Don’s message?
3) What happened the last time Don was supposed to pick Jimmy up?
4) How does Jimmy feel about his dad?
5) How does Jimmy treat his mother and grandparents?
6) What do the grandparents think of Don? Why?
7) What is amusing about the conversation between Marlene and Maxine?
8) How do they all feel about jimmy going to live with Don?
9) What kind of a person is Jimmy? How do you know?
10) Why is Marlene upset at the thought of Jimmy leaving?
11) What does Maxine think of Canada and Canadians? How do you know?
12) Why is Jimmy reluctant to tell his mother about Linda?
13) How does Jimmy feel about Linda?
14) Why did Jimmy have an accident with his truck?
15) Why did he tell everyone he was drinking and driving?
16) Why is Jim opposed to Jimmy moving to the States with his dad?
17) What kind of a relationship has Jimmy had with Don? How do you know?
18) How does Jimmy feel about moving in with his dad?
Bordertown Café Act II Questions
1) How has Maxine’s attitude changed toward the USA from Act I? Why do you think this is?
2) Why does Jimmy not want to rush into marriage?
3) Why does Jimmy say “Grandad and me are the only ones know it’s the present.”?
4) Why did Jimmy score the Hat Trick that night? Why not another night?
5) Why does Jimmy buy his Marlene the diamond earring?
6) Why does Jimmy decide he wants to go live with his dad?
7) How does Jimmy hurt Max’s feelings?
8) Why did Max leave Jim right after they got married?
9) Why do you think Jimmy buys Marlene a new bathroom?
10) What does Jim think of Don?
11) What is Jim’s advice to Jimmy?
12) Why did Jim go down to Minnesota? Why hasn’t he told Max yet?
13) How did Jimmy finally stand up to his dad?
14) What made him come to the decision to stand up to him?
15) Explain the theme of home in this play.
16) Explain the theme of waiting in this play.
17) Explain the theme of American vs Canadian in this play.
18) How does this play fit in to the Anticipation theme of this unit.