Global Dignity Day Activity

Hey all!
Please go to your Twitter and tweet along with the video conference.
What do you notice?
What does dignity mean to you?
Why is important to build dignity within all peoples of the world?
What have you been surprised to learn? Why?
Tweet comments/pictures and videos with the #globalencounters and #sgms.

THEN;
Below; in a comment on this WORDPRESS post please type;

• What does dignity mean?
  • What is a hero?
  • What are your microactions to live with more dignity and treat others with dignity in the next year?
  • What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
    Need help with your dignity story:
    -What makes you feel good about yourself?
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    -What do you love most about yourself?
    -What are you proud of?
    -What makes you happy?

How can we take action in our school, community, country, world?
Be specific; list SPECIFIC things.
(Try and write things your classmates haven’t. Be original and creative!)

Mrs. Erb’s post:
My students for taking part with me.
As well as,
Andrew Bennet; office of religious freedom
Unesco Representatives

Edmonton
Nunavut
FieldCrest
Bradford, Ontario
New Brunswick, Ontario
Brampton, Ontario

Elizabeth Potskin (High Prairie)
-Grew up in a settlement
-She is First Nations
-Mohawk tribe, Lakota, Dene, Blackfoot and Caucasian; Scottish/French, also African.
-She travelled to Nicaragua
-She built a garden and worked in agriculture in this area.
-WHAT A POEM…

Mohamed Sidibay
Sierra Lieone Afgrica
-twn year civil war (he was involved in this civil war)
-Age 3 to the age of 9 (child soldier)
He has seen it all!
“Worst of humanity”
People in killed
-killed people for reasons unknown
-everything was stripped away.
“His character is what kept him going.”

POEM HIGHLIGHTS:
-unanswered anger
-chopped legs
-chopped heads
“I try to ask why, but my voice deserted me.”
-accustomed to rifles

Advertisements

25 comments on “Global Dignity Day Activity

1. annadaigle says:

What does dignity mean?
    Means who you are as a person and what you have to show for yourself in a respectable and honourable way.
    What is a hero?
    A hero is someone who has changed their life to help people and to make the world a better place for everyone around them.
    Just make everyone feel like they’re important and that they are worth while. Helping someone out when someone is putting them down.

• jessiehmann says:

Do you think anyone can be a hero or are heroes only people who do big, amazing things that are not the norm?
      What 5 things can you do everyday to honour dignity? Be specific!
      Anna, what is your dignity story? We want to get to know you better!

2. Dignity means: the state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
    Hero: a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
    We could not be so judgementally and stop be racist towards everyone.
    My family are the ones that makes me feel good about myself
    I’m proud of my family and friends
    They are my world, they make my days
    As for a school I think Challenge day should happen more.
    As a community we should all join together and get to no each race and know that we are all human.
    As for the world everyone should celebrate Global Dignity Day

3. What does dignity mean? The state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.
    What is a hero? I don’t just have one hero, I have many. My biggest hero is my brother. The amount of things he went through is huge. Knowing that god give him many chances to live is incredible.
    What are your microactions to live with more dignity and treat others with dignity in the next year? Understand what other people went through in their life.
    What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
    Need help with your dignity story:
    -What makes you feel good about yourself? Knowing that I am good at hockey.
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself? People who are positive, not negative
    -What do you love most about yourself? How I am funny and I always have a smile in my face.
    -What are you proud of? The accomplishment that I have made in hockey.
    -What makes you happy? Being at the rink.

• jessiehmann says:

Hey Zach,
      I love that your brother is your biggest hero. You reminded me of Shawnay from the VC last week. She was well beyond her years and so are you. Keep being kind to everyone- it is something that many people admire about you. I would like to see you type 5 things that you can do everyday to honour dignity?
      What specific accomplishments have you made in hockey that make you the most proud? Are they accolades or daily events?
      What is it about the rink that you enjoy? Why does being there make you happy?

4. My dad is my hero. He started from nothing and is now the super attendant of Huskey. My parents had no education and no money but they did have spirt and will. It shows that I don’t have to be smart or be rich for me to be someone and have a great life.

The one thing I love about myself is that I know how to make someone smile. I love making people laugh.

5. jessiehmann says:

Mrs. Erb’s Response:
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013
    Today we are honouring Global Dignity Day:

What does dignity mean?
    I think dignity means, as Evan mentioned; self worth, love, respect.
    If we honoured ourselves and who we are; then we have the ability to treat others with respect and love. I think the most healthy and meaningful relationships with people can be fostered when you love yourself.

What is a hero?
    I don’t have one hero; I have many heroes. My mom is my ultimate hero. She has been through so much in her lifetime and always worked hard to give me the things that she never had. My grandparents are also my heroes in the sense that they grew up without anything and turned their lives into something to be admired. They have an incredible marriage and never once took a day off. I look up to students, colleagues and community leaders in one moment and are taken with a story of someone on an international level in the next. I am spell bound by Malala’s story lately. I desperately wanted to see her win the Nobel Peace Prize. When I think about being 16 years old and speaking for rights that we often take for granted in our country; I can’t put it into words. I think many artists, musicians and actors are heroes as well. The thing is- we can all be heroes and I believe we all are. You have to look to appreciate the things around you as life is all about perspective and being a positive person. I am a hero in many ways and every single person around me is a hero as well.

-stop and talk to all people who look like they need a friend
    (no matter how busy I am)
    -donate my photography to someone who has never had family photos or cannot afford it
    -donate my time to causes I believe in in my community; SPCA, Habitat for Humanity
    -think positive and not let trivial little issues affect me
    -thank the people who make a difference in my life
    -take time for myself to de-stress so I can be the best person to those around me

What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
    Need help with your dignity story:
    -What makes you feel good about yourself?
    The people who make me feel the best about myself are those who are positive. When I am around people who make the most of everyday- I feel the best about myself. Negativity is like a poison for me. When I think about a time in my life when I found worth in myself it was when I lost my brother. He was our favourite. Really, he was all of my family’s favourite but no one minded that he was everyone’s favourite. I remember thinking to myself; he can’t live and I can- so it is time to help myself. I was a bratty teenager who didn’t appreciate opportunity. In fact, I am sure opportunity knocked a few times and I left the door unanswered. When I started to believe I was worth it; things started to change. Before I knew it everything was working out; I know now that my brother is guiding me and I know if we could talk now; he would say… thank you for making the most of each day now.

-Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    My friend Kelsey is the first person who came to mind when I read this question. She always makes me laugh and even when I lose my way- she brings be back up. My husband, family and other friends also- make each day better. I don’t surround myself with anyone that would ever make me feel negative or hurt me. I literally will walk away or cut all ties, that has made the difference for me.

-What do you love most about yourself?
    I love that I am a reflective person that often puts the needs of others before my own. I like that my family has instilled a sense of family and friendship within me. I am honest, trustworthy and have many talents I am fortunate enough to practice everyday. I love that I know how flawed I am; and can still look in the mirror and not wish I was someone else or that I looked a different way.

-What are you proud of?
    I am proud of my students and the fact that I love my jobs. I have created a life for myself that I enjoy everyday.

6. annadaigle says:

What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
    Need help with your dignity story:
    -What makes you feel good about yourself?
    Being around my friends and having the support system I have with those around me. Knowing at the end of the day I did as much as i could to make someone else’s day better, even when I don’t that that experience.
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    My friends and family. My family especially because i haven’t always had the best home life and knowing that they are they behind me and that they will always understand me.
    -What do you love most about yourself?
    That even when I’m upset or something happens to me i always put others ahead of me, and put others feelings ahead of mine and what I feel.
    -What are you proud of?
    I’m proud of my Dad. my dad is one of the only people that I know who has never put his needs ahead of anybody else’s. He is my one true inspiration in everything I do.
    -What makes you happy?
    A lot of people make me happy but especially my little sisters. They are my pride and joy and I love them to death.

• jessiehmann says:

Anna, your Dad sounds awesome! What else do you love and admire about him? What do you think you can do in your everyday life to be more like him?
      What is it about your little sisters that you enjoy? What can you say to them, teach them- so they can learn some of the lessons you have learned?

• annadaigle says:

My dad has been attacked by people who were supposed to love him and he has held his ground and put his feelings aside foe my sisters and I. I love how he can remain so strong yet always open up to me. And in all Honesty I don’t know what i could do. I’d like to think that i become more like him everyday in everything I do. I don’t really i think i could teach them anything but talking to them, i think by the way they look up to me they learn for themselves, if there is anything that i’ve learned its that we all learn in different ways

7. masonhalcro says:

What does dignity mean?

Dignity means, Having self confidence and striving for a goal you want to overcome.

What is a hero?

A hero to me is someone who makes a good impact on the world.

Be more independent and respect other peoples point of views.

What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.

My dignity story is when i was in elementary i was the new kid so i had to have self confidence that i was going to excel in my new school and make new friends. It was tough in the beginning but me having self confidence and dignity really payed off and I made a lot of new friends and excelled in school.

• jessiehmann says:

I love that you said dignity is striving for goals… Do you think it is one big goal, or many goals?
      WOW! I love your dignity story. I was a new kid once and well; to be honest I think we are ‘new kids’ a lot in our life! If we learn to be confident and happy, we can enjoy those times, rather than being stressed.
      What 5 things can you do to honour other peoples, as well as your own, dignity each and everyday day?
      List these.

8. justinhauber says:

What makes me happy – what makes me happy is being with my my family. When Im with al of my family members I feel happy, and comfortable. Dance makes me extremely happy as well! Or being with friends, and making people laugh.

What am I proud of? I am proud of my talents! I am proud when I dance, make people laugh/smile, sing, and taking photographs that people enjoy looking at.

What makes me feel good about myself? I love when people know my name for a good reason! Or when people say they know me, or saw me on T.v, or saw me performing. I just love knowing that my name is getting out there in a positive, beneficial way!

Who makes me feel good about myself? My mom! my two oldest brothers also do a good job about making me feel good about myself. My closest friends also never fail to make me feel good about myself.

what do you love most about yourself – I love how I am a good public speaker! When I have a topic I am passionate about I would be very comfortable with talking about it! I love how I am very comfortable with being on stage performing! I love being on stage dancing, and I could see myself doing that for a lifetime career! I like how photography comes natural to me! Ever since I was in grade five, my relatives wanted to buy some of my photos! I love how I am into the arts! It is who I am!

• annadaigle says:

Justin you are an inspiration to me. Its amazing to know how far you’ve come and watch you grow as a person. I know we aren’t the closest friends but i still think as a person you would inspire a lot of people and I’m glad I’ve gotten to know you as much as i have all these years!

• jessiehmann says:

I so admire your appreciation and love for your family! That is well beyond your years and is something awesome! You are also a very humble and kind individual. I think your dancing and singing is an incredible way to express yourself and you have talent in those two areas as well. I love to sing and dance and it makes me feel awesome; but I sing like a rooster and dance like an alligator.

9. syd1227 says:

Dignity means what makes you , you. It’s what makes everyone unique. A hero is someone who does a life changing activity, or does something for the better good that is recognized. A hero doesn’t have to be someone famous, it could be someone close to you. Micro actions that I can do to anyone, and that I can do in the future to live with more dignity would be treating everyone with respect, being a mature person, understanding that I don’t know what everyone has been through, they may be their own hero!

Dignity Story:
    Being happy is what makes me feel good about myself. If I am happy and smiling I am feeling good about myself. People that make me feel good about myself are people that come off as happy and positive. They make me smile and show they care! I am an extremely smiley and happy girl and I love that about my personality! I am proud of my parents for being together for 20 years, being amazing as they are! Also proud of all my friends for all they have been through and how strong they are. I am proud to be a canadian. What makes me happy is being with my friends and family! Being with the people that I love and doing what makes me happy everyday!

10. evanrusset says:

What does dignity mean?
    -dignity is self respect
    What is a hero?
    -someone who overcomes great adversity to achieve their goal
    What are your micro actions to live with more dignity and treat others with dignity in the next year?
    -Respect everyone by showing kindness and love to others and my self
    What makes you feel good about yourself?
    -im an overall happy person so anything i’ve done in a day that i can say its an achievement
    Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    -all my friends and family really make a difference in how i feel during the day
    What do you love most about yourself?
    -i personally love my level of determination i have towards something i’m passionate about
    What are you proud of?
    -all of my achievements in football i have to date
    What makes you happy?
    -the thing that makes me the most happy is football

11. • What does dignity mean?
    he state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
    • What is a hero?
    Smile all the time.
    What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
Need help with your dignity story:
    What makes you feel good about yourself?

Being a good person makes me feel good about myself.
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    Well I make myself feel good about myself.

-What do you love most about yourself?

I love my hair most.
    -What are you proud of?
    Obviously I am proud of myself.

-What makes you happy?
    Summertime makes me happy.

12. Your dignity is your self-worth and how you view yourself. With a higher dignity you can put yourself on a high pedestal and smile more. A hero is someone you strive to be. For football my hero is Randall Cobb he is a guy who was not suppose to be a very good football player and now is one of the best. My dad is my hero because he took many years of schooling to ensure a great lifestyle for me and the rest of my family. Teachers are my heroes everyday they go to school and put up with crappy students and put in countless hours to try to make us smarter. Yes, even superheroes can be your heroes. Spiderman is mine, he’s the geeky kid nobody likes but he manages to keep moving forward and becomes a hero. You can have heroes for many different kinds of goals in your life. My microactions to live with more dignity and to treat other with dignity starts with me helping people to strive to be their best. For myself I know I will work harder in everything that I do. Especially in sports I need to try harder to improve how I view myself.

My Dignity Story begins when I was born. My parents had me when my father was in school and my mother had just started nursing. We were just barely getting by and then 18 months later my brother Nicolas was born. We grew up together and were the best of friends and thanks to him I was able to grow as a person and believe that I am a valuable person. Personally I love in myself when I volunteer especially when it is with children. I feel like I have a special bond and I am able to change their lives with a simple smile or laugh. I am proud of my family, especially my sister. With now a days influence of the media is still has not fallen to the feeling of not being beautiful or needing make up to be perfect. Yes, she has and does wear make up somedays but does not over do it. It makes me happy when women say they are beautiful and that they are happy with how they look. Everything makes me happy and if it doesn’t I try to find a way to make it be positive or be able to smile from it.

13. patterson611 says:

What does dignity mean?

Dignity means self respect. Your dignity is your pride, honour, and how others view you. It is your confidence and where you hold yourself as well as where others uphold you.

What is a hero?

A hero to me is someone who I can look up to. They are firm in their beliefs and aren’t afraid to stand up for what is right. They aren’t scared of anyone or any one thing that attempts to either slow them down or halt them completely. A great example of a well known hero for me is Joan of Arc. A very humble and not so well known hero would also be my grandmother and grandfather because they truly are making my world a better place.

year?

A few small things I can do to treat others with dignity would be to take the time to listen to every person–especially the meek and one who feel like they will be put down. I can simply treat every individual with the respect I wish to be treated with in return. To build my own dignity, I will start attempting to love myself more and try to find at least one or two things I like or potentially even love about myself. I will respect my image and not judge myself so harshly. With that, I will also avoid to the greatest of my abilities to judge anyone else.

What is your dignity story?
    Need help with your dignity story:
    -What makes you feel good about yourself?

When I get good marks back from tests or major assignments, I feel amazing and I am proud of myself. I love when my dad gives me a pat on my back or a big hug and says he’s proud of me because that is basically one of the top things I live for.

-Who makes you feel good about yourself?

My grandma makes me feel good about myself because every time I see her she tells me how smart I am or some little thing about me that she envies or finds pretty. This means so much to me because she has ultimately led the life that I wish to live as well. My grandpa also is one person who I love more than anyone. Regardless of if he is completely enveloped in some sports game, when you walk into the room, all of the focus he can muster is on you. He is starting to forget a lot recently but he has always managed to remember what matters most to me. He never fails to make me smile and feel special.

-What do you love most about yourself?

I’d have to say for appearance that I like my eyes, I suppose. Based on who I am as a person, I am proud of how I can balance my academics with my sports.

-What are you proud of?

I’m proud of my accomplishments with sports and my school marks. I’m proud to have my dad as my dad and I am also proud of my brother. I am proud more so for other people rather than myself.

-What makes you happy?

Certain people make my life happy but specifically the one thing that makes me smile every day is definitely my dog. This will not come as a surprise to most people but the other person that make me happy would be Adam Levine. People may say I like him only based on appearance but he is actually a great person. His songs–specifically the older ones–touch me and make me feel understood and like life will get better. My extended family makes me happy all the time and it’s never dull at our reunions. Every member of my family is amazing at making me feel special and important and sadly I can’t feel the way they make me feel at school or at home. As materialistic as this sounds, shopping also makes me quite happy as do certain movies or TV shows.

How can we take action in our school, community, country, world?

We can do minimal things like smiling at someone or throwing out genuine compliments to people who need them and even those that don’t. We can help make our community better and become more of an inspiration by humbling ourselves and doing random acts of kindness such as picking up garbage or donating money to certain causes. I am not one to stand in front of hundreds and state my beliefs but I am more than happy to do small acts to bring forth a more respectful nation.

14. • What does dignity mean?
    he state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
    • What is a hero?
    Smile all the time.
    What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
Need help with your dignity story:
    What makes you feel good about yourself?

Being a good person makes me feel good about myself.
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    Well I make myself feel good about myself.

-What do you love most about yourself?

I love my hair most.
    -What are you proud of?
    Obviously I am proud of myself.

-What makes you happy?
    Summertime makes me happy.

15. arnel says:

• What does dignity mean?
    he state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
    • What is a hero?
    Smile all the time.
    What is your dignity story? Type it in the comment box.
Need help with your dignity story:
    What makes you feel good about yourself?

Being a good person makes me feel good about myself.
    -Who makes you feel good about yourself?
    Well I make myself feel good about myself.

-What do you love most about yourself?

I love my hair most.
    -What are you proud of?
    Obviously I am proud of myself.

-What makes you happy?
    Summertime makes me happy.

16. mickeymac97 says:

What does dignity mean?
    bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.

What is a hero?
    a hero is someone who inspires you to be someone, my hero is my uncle because he is really outgoing and he doesn’t really want to grow up he is really respectful to other people. when me or my siblings does something wrong he doesn’t yell at them or gets mad he makes a joke out of it and he talks about it with you. He is always there for me and i will be there for him if he ever needs it.

when i help people with little things like opening `a door for someone, or helping someone who dropped their books.

What is your dignity story?-What makes you feel good about yourself?

My friends and family make me feel good about myself. people who respect other people and the things they do . things that i don’t care if people think i have to grow up and be more mature. life doesn’t last forever so live it to the fullest. i am proud that i have a family, shelter, food and friends. What makes me happy is when i see other people helping other people. this makes me happy because i like to see other people happy.