ENGLISH 20: Please continue to work on your Explanatory Essay.
1) Read; “Green Grass, Running Water” by Thomas King.
“Green Grass, Running Water”
2) Review all related documents; assignment description and rubric
Essay of Explanation
Five Paragraph Essay Outline
3) Your assignment will be to choose a process or idea and explain what it is and how it works in a formal explanation essay. Be sure to relate it to “Green Grass, Running Water“.
Possible topics could include:
-Finding inner peace
-Deciding what to study after high school
-How to get into better shape
-Deciding which political candidate to vote for
-The healing power of comfort food
-Convincing parents to let you do something
4) Check your Google Doc; write your essay there.
(See below for more support.)
How to Write an Essay of Explanation
Explanation essays are descriptive essays that examine a process or idea and explain how it works or what it is. To write a good explanation essay, the writer must have a clear sense of whom the reader is and maintain an awareness of what that reader will need in order to understand the topic.
- Brainstorm your topic from the point of view of someone who knows little about it, if anything, making notes as you think of points that you want to discuss.
- Introduce the topic in the opening paragraph. Include some background or basic facts to orient the reader and a statement of purpose, rather than a thesis, which is not necessary for an explanation essay. A statement of purpose tells the reader what you will be discussing.
- This is not your opinion! So DO NOT use first person
- Should have 5 paragraphs: Intro, 3 supporting (what you do at the beginning, middle and end), Conclusion
Social Studies 20: We will continue on with slavery and the related targets.
But first; This day in history…
Media Studies/Photography 20:
Time Magazine Headline: Can Google Solve Death? Review article together.
Public Service Announcement and Work Period.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENTS
Commercial Contest LADS
(See yesterday; Day 20 for more information and student exemplars.)