Wednesday- Early Dismissal

Great work on catching up yesterday guys!
Plans for today

Period 2: English:

Bordertown Cafe:
Open up a post on your WordPress. You will before we continue reading Act II predict what you think will happen.

Copy and paste the following.
I believe the following will happen to Jimmy:
I believe the following will happen to Marlene:
I believe the following will happen to Maxine:
I believe the following will happen to Jim:
I believe the following will happen to Don:
I believe the following will happen to Linda:
You will have 15 minutes to PREDICT what you think will happen.
We will then finish reading the play.

Period 3: Social Studies 20 Matching assignment.
Use the following words and make your own matching exam.
(NOTE: I have taken the liberty of finding EXACT definitions from the curriculum and they are on the Social Studies 20 page. All you  have to do is simply put them into simple terms and create a matching exam. This matching exam MUST be placed on your Social Studies 20 page.)
We will have an Inconvenient Truth playing while you are working.
Habitat
Carrying Capacity
Burden of Proof
Dialectics
Merket Economy
Ecological Engineering

Period 4/5: Photography/Final Presentations

2:30- Early Dismissal (Enjoy your evening guys, I hope you are not all working.)

Thursday, January 12
Period 2: English: Bordertown Cafe Project
You will be INTERVIEWING a character in real time/present time.
You must find a partner.
Chose WHO will be interviewing and who will be the character from the novel.
TOGETHER: Build an interview on what the future holds for your character.
Have some fun with the language and write like Kelly Rebar wrote and like your character spoke.

You must:
Speak like your character spoke.
Make 6 references to events in the past/from the book. (You will have access to the plays.)
Answer questions that provide insight into what future you believe your character holds.
We have done so much formal writing. It is time to throw that out the window and have some fun.
Interviews will take place Friday in Period 2 and 3. Dressing the part will yield a more enjoyable interview to watch.
Explain who the ‘interviewer’ is and who your character is.
Complete interview.
Tell why you chose the character you did and why you believe they will end up as you noted.
The more FUN the better!
(Have at least 12 questions that are answered completely and in parallel to the style of the play.)

Period 3/4: Social Studies

What do you think about when you view this image?

How is this okay?

Will this ever stop? Increase?

View this video.
Visit this link.
point  The term “First World” refers to so called developed, capitalist, industrial countries, roughly, a bloc of countries aligned with the United States after World War II, with more or less common political and economic interests: North America, Western Europe, Japan and Australia.
point  “Second World” refers to the former communist-socialist, industrial states, (formerly the Eastern bloc, the territory and sphere of influence of the Union of Soviet Socialists Republic) today: Russia, Eastern Europe (e.g., Poland) and some of the Turk States (e.g., Kazakhstan) as well as China.
point  “Third World” are all the other countries, today often used to roughly describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The term Third World includes as well capitalist (e.g., Venezuela) and communist (e.g., North Korea) countries, as very rich (e.g., Saudi Arabia) and very poor (e.g., Mali) countries.
What makes a nation third world?
Despite everevolving definitions, the concept of the third world serves to identify countries that suffer from high infant mortality, low economic development, high levels of poverty, low utilization of natural resources, and heavy dependence on industrialized nations. These are the developing and technologically less advanced nations of Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Latin America. Third world nations tend to have economies dependent on the developed countries and are generally characterized as poor with unstable governments and having high rates of population growth, illiteracy, and disease. A key factor is the lack of a middle class—with impoverished millions in a vast lower economic class and a very small elite upper class controlling the country’s wealth and resources. Most third world nations also have a very large foreign debt.
Discussion:
What 5 countries do you think are the ‘wealthiest‘?
What 5 countries do you think are the ‘poorest‘?
POVERTY:
Global poverty did not just happen. It began with military conquest, slavery and colonization that resulted in the seizure of land, minerals and forced labor.
Today, the problem persists because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies – in other words, wealthy countries taking advantage of poor, developing countries.

Questions to consider when watching the video.
How can we have so much poverty?
Many people live on how much per day?
How bad is it?
What is being done?

The Empire in Africa video.
The rebels who started the civil war in Sierra Leone 15 years ago wanted only one thing: to reclaim the richness of the country from foreign corporations in order to end the exploitation of its people. In response, the international community decided to wage a war on this country, with bombs, executions, torture, rigged elections and manipulation of the international media. This created one of the worst humanitarian disasters of the 20th century.

Period 5:
COMPLETE SURVEY FIRST:

Make sure your 15 pictures are uploaded. Show Miss Mann and then you can work on Final Projects.
Final Presentation Work Period

Advertisements

14 comments on “Wednesday- Early Dismissal

1. scdoll12 says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: will not go to the US with his dad.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: will bring Jimmy to hockey and pay more attention to him.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Will move in with Jimmy and Marlene.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will live with the Jimmy and Maxine.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: Don and Linda die in a car accident.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda and Don die in a car accident.

2. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: Stay with his mom, Take over the farm make her proud.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: Sell the cafe and buy a new house
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Just going to live a long life, maybe move back to the states but probably not, and just stay the same.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Going to get sick, or give the farm t jimmy.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: Ignore Jimmy the rest of his life.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: She’ll leave don because he was cheating on her.

3. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: he will not move away from his town. And if he does, he will move right back. I predict that he will either take over either the cafe or the farm.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: she will work at the cafe until she dies. The cafe is her whole life.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: she will not end up touring the United States. She doesn’t seem like the kind of person who follows through with what she says.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: he loves farming, so I think he will farm until he dies. Just like most other farmers in small prairie towns.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: he will show up, but by that time, Jimmy will have made up his mind not to go.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Don will cheat on her, and she will leave him.

4. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy:
    He will stay at home with his family after he finds out that America isn’t all that bad.

I believe the following will happen to Marlene:
    She will stay and work in the cafe, and might develop a better relationship with the rest of her family.

I believe the following will happen to Maxine:
    She will stay and work in the cafe, and might develop a better relationship with Jim.

I believe the following will happen to Jim:
    He will continue to work on the farm, and nothing will change for him.

I believe the following will happen to Don:
    He wont show up, just for the reason that he forgot, or didn’t want to.

I believe the following will happen to Linda:
    Don will cheat on her, and they will break up.

5. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: will be in the mids of moving with his dad, and then come back to his mom, before even leaving, and he will finish school and get a good job and possibly make the cafe something of his own.

I believe the following will happen to Marlene: might fall back into love with Don, but shortly get over it. She might also get herself into trouble with Linda, then make up with it, and Marlene and Linda will become good friends.

I believe the following will happen to Maxine: is always going to be the same, I don’t expect nothing to happen in her area of the story other then being the waitress she has always been.

I believe the following will happen to Jim: he is going to tell Maxine to shut up, and he is going to help his family as always, and tell Jimmy not to leave his mother behind, and he is just going to do the same thing he has been doing for years.

I believe the following will happen to Don: I think Don might look at Marlene and remember the memories and become friends with her. And maybe try and tell Jimmy they are moving in a farm close by.

I believe the following will happen to Linda: I think Linda is going to love Marlene and they are going to become good friends.

6. Luke says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: Jimmy is going to continue to live at the farm with this family, after high school he is going to help out at the farm and eventually take over the farm land.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: Marlene will continue working at the cafe for the rest of her life, she is going to tell Jimmy that he should do what ever makes him happy, even if that means moving far away.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Maxine is not going to stay in Canada for long, she will be getting out of this country as soon as possible!
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim has been and always will be a Canadian. He will continue farming for as long as he can, and eventually had down the farm to Jimmy.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: Don will always be far away from his son’s life. He will always say that he will make an effort to be apart of Jimmy’s life but wont actually fall through with his promises.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda will continue married to Don, they will have kids of their own, and live happily ever after.

7. JHurley says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: I feel that Jimmy will stay with his mother, and no move to the States with his father.

I believe the following will happen to Marlene: Marlene will tell Jimmy to follow his dreams, and let him know that she is there to support him.

I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Maxine will continue to work at the diner with Jim, Jimmy, and Marlene.

I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will be glad to have Jimmy stay with the group, and continue to work on the diner/ fields with Jimmy.

I believe the following will happen to Don: I feel that Don might fall in love with Marlene again.

I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda will move on, and find another man!

8. cjgrafstar says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: He will notice Marlene, and try make it up to her. He will eventually leave with his dad and make up with Marlene.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: She will leave, after hearing what Jimmy said about her.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: She will stick with Jimmy wherever he goes.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will come inside before Jimmy leaves.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: He will come and take Jimmy with him. He won’t be anything like Jimmy remembers that he was.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: We won’t hear much of her anymore.

9. Alyssa Dopko says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: He is going to feel guilty about leaving, so he will stay home, play hockey, finish school, and take over the farm.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: She is going to have a meltdown in front of Don and Jimmy, say things she doesn’t mean and confess her love for Don to Don.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Maxine is going to stay the same, and keep blurting out things in the wrong places at the wrong times, and end up hurting Jims, and Marlenes feelings.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim is going to burst and get mad at Jimmy, and then retire from the farm.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: Don is going to realize that he is still in love with Marlene and go back to her.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda is going to be mad at Don and find out everything about Jimmy and Marlene, and leave Don.

10. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: Jimmy is not going to go with his dad, he will stay where he is and work with his grandpa, and continue to play hockey. Jimmy will get the farm when jim dies and built his dream home there.

I believe the following will happen to Marlene: With be extremely happy when she is the one that wins this time not Don, because Jimmy picks her over him.

I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Max will end up actually going on her trip to the states then she will come back and continue to work at the cafe. HEr relationship with her husband will get better.

I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will work on the farm until he dies then he will give the farm to Jimmy who will built his dream home there and get married.

I believe the following will happen to Don: Don will come and find out that Jimmy doesn’t want to go with him.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Will leave Don high and dry. (she controls his money)

11. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: Jimmy will be given the choice to go with his dad or not and realize that his mom needs him more. He will choose to stay with his mom and realize that is the right decision because without her, life is just not normal.

I believe the following will happen to Marlene: Marlene will be filled with guilt by how she treats Jimmy and try her best to change for him to try and get him to stay with her.

I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Maxine will finally get some sense talked into her and get a reality check because it is time for her to stop living in the past.

I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will continue to quietly work on the farm and live his usual life.

I believe the following will happen to Don: Don will eventually show up saying he was “held up”, but was out being the person he really is and is hitting on women and drinking the day away.

I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda will leave Don and live her life.

12. I believe the following will happen to Jimmy:
    He will go with his dad but decides that he wants to stay and take care of his mom. He will also help out better on the farm.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene:
    That she will change her ways for Jimmy when he gets back. She will be a better mom for him.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine:
    Will come to better understand Jim and go home to see him more.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim:
    Will be happy with what Jimmy has decided and get him to help out at the farm and trust Jimmy more.
    I believe the following will happen to Don:
    The reason he is late to pick up Jimmy was because he started late. When he does get there and picks up Jimmy he was surprised that just a little ways out Jimmy decided to go back.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda:
    She stays married to Don and is trying to have a child of their own.

13. dariahoegl says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy: Jimmy will stay at Bordertown Cafe, he will help his grandfather with the farm and will take it over when he is old enough. I think he doesnt want to leave his mom and grandma because they were the ones you raised him.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: something will happen to Marlene that will make her much more happy and calm.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: Maxine dies of a heart attack
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: Jim will die at the end of the book causing Jimmy to take over the farm
    I believe the following will happen to Don: decides he wants Marlene back but it is to late.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda found out herself that Don is not the greatest guy and is a jerk, so she leaves him.

14. troysb11 says:

I believe the following will happen to Jimmy:
    I think Jimmy will stay at the farm. I believe he will do this because his dad is late, and he realizes how good he has it there. He will realize that it will be better for everyone if he just stays.
    I believe the following will happen to Marlene: I believe he will respect her son more. she will realize how lucky she is and take everyday and make the most of it.
    I believe the following will happen to Maxine: will fix up the diner.
    I believe the following will happen to Jim: He will get his crop off.
    I believe the following will happen to Don: He will show up but he will leave empty handed.
    I believe the following will happen to Linda: Linda will live happy life with don.