I hope and trust you all had a great break.
I am sure it is tough to be back but lets get to it.
There are progress reports next Monday. Please be sure to complete all you can this week.
Period 2: Social Studies
The Week in Rap
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Good Morning America
What is the Plastiki?
Plastiki Voyage Complete…
Period 3: ASSIGNMENT
Questions to answer: (These will be on your Social Studies Final Exam.)
Yes there will be short answer and multiple choice on your exam (humanities policy).
1. What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Explain in detail.
2. Who does it affect? How and Why?
3. What is UNEP?
4. Who are they affiliated with- NATO or the United Nations? Explain.
5. How many priorities does UNEP have?
6. What is being done to combat climate change?
7. What is being done by UNEP in terms of conflicts and disasters?
8. How does UNEP describe Ecosystem Management? Why is it important?
9. What is Environmental Governance and what does UNEP have to say about it?
10. What are some of the most harmful substances outlines by UNEP?
11. What is resource efficiency?
***Take a look at 2011 UNEP’s Year in Review
12. Despite the economic recession, global investments in green energy grew by nearly HOW MUCH? (See July)
13. A new report by the UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Center gave eight million seven hundred thousand (give or take 1.3 million) as the latest estimated total number of species on Earth and the most precise calculation ever offered.
The report said that WHAT PERCENTAGE of species in the seas have yet to be discovered, described or catalogued? (See August)
***Visit this CBC news Photo Gallery.
14. First picture. Who organized the first EARTH DAY? When did Earth Day’s begin? What else is this man credited with doing?
15. See second picture. How can we go green in our homes?
16. See third picture. In the daily lives of Canadians, perhaps no green change is more visible, or more used, than the ?
17. See fourth picture. Alternative energy More and more, governments around the world are looking to the skies to produce clean energy with low emissions. Annual _____________? power capacity rose by 31 per cent globally in 2009.
18. 5th picture. (What Canadian city is featured here? Why?)
19. 6th picture. (When Thomas Edison came up with a long-lasting filament for incandescent light bulbs in 1879, it was an invention that truly changed the way we live. But it also changed the world from an environmental perspective, sparking a demand for power that generates tons upon tons of waste every year from carbon dioxide emissions to spent nuclear fuel. That demand has also levelled mountains, polluted water supplies and disrupted whole ecosystems as we mine for fuel and manipulate watercourses for hydro power. What is being done to make this better?)
20. 7th picture. Banning the _____? What are ordinary citizens doing to help?
21. 8th picture. Cleaner ______? Even celebrities are ditching the porsche’s for hybrid vehicles.
22. 9th picture. Silencing the sawmills in Amazon forest The Amazon forest, once vulnerable to the threat of deforestation, is now under priority protection with Brazilian officials pledging to reduce deforestation by 50 per cent over the next 10 years. Under a program called Bolsa Floresta, communities are paid to _______________________?
23. 10th picture. How is fair trade coffee making the world a greener place?
24. 11th picture. Protecting _____and_____ helps to preserve species.
25. 12th picture. Is acid rain a myth in Canada? Explain in detail with points and facts from the caption.
26. 13th picture. What is a CFC and why is it bad for the environment?
27. 14th picture. View this photo.
Now visit: Kyoto Protocol
What is the Kyoto Protocol? Is Canada involved?
Now visit: This resource.
What is the difference between the Convention and the Protocol?
Now visit: This recourse.
What are green house gases?
*** On your own:
What does it mean to be GOING GREEN?
What companies are leading the ‘going green’ movement? Why?
Once you have completed this assignment:
(Remember you must have a WordPress page dedicated to this. THEN you can work on your final projects.)